Monday 4 March 2013

Reinventing Indian Street Food-1

A country where the population is more than a billion, food plays a pivotal role in their lives. Across the whole country you are bound to find thousands of dishes as there are so many cultures ,tradition and cast. But one thing that brings the whole nation together is good food and that too street food. On every corner of every city, you are bound to find  a hawker stall selling some food, be it vada pav, pani purri, dosa, or momos. Indian people have a habit of spicy and tasty food and won't compromise on that. As a kid growing up in Mumbai, for some time I learnt to eat whatever I could get my hands on even though I am a fussy eater. At least try it and say if it was good or it tasted like cow's shit!

My favourite of them are pani purri, ragda pattice and medu vada. For all you morons who don't know it,  google it. 

So I decided to change the whole look of some of the street food. This post is about ragda pattice! I have been working on pani purri and others.


Reinvented Ragda pattice!!! 
Well since I am talking about ragda pattice, I will give you an insight about what it is.

It is a patty made from potatoes and spices and pan fried or deep fried, and topped with spiced lentils, onions and chutney; both spicy and sweet. The lentil varies from chickpea to white peas which are actually called ragda.

Another style of platting the classic

My variation is based on the same ideology but presented in a very different way. The dish is usually spicy, sweet and sour and has a lot of flavour. Since I don't like the idea of having sweet Indian food I omitted it. I made the potato fritter with different spices such as cumin,coriander, chili powder. Rolled the potato into a long cylindrical tube and kept it in the freezer to chill and solidify well. The chutney was made by blitzing red bell peppers with fresh red chilies, garlic, onions and pan fried in oil till the water and the rawness was gone. I had decided to give an green oil instead of the green chutney but based it on the same flavor. So took some oil, blanched coriander leaves ,garlic,onion and fresh green chili. Pureed all and strained to just get the oil! You know what, it actually tasted like green chutney but in an oil form!


I then chopped up some brunoise of onions and had some thin sev, it was time to put the act together.

I took the potato log and cut it into medallions and pan seared in butter till warm in the center  For the dish, pretty much everything was ready and it was time to plate.
A different view!!!
I placed a couple table spoon of ragda on the plate, followed by the medallions of the potato and  followed by the red chutney and green oil and sev and onions, as this was done in India couldn't find micro coriander as garnish.

Personally I don't taste my own food always but this had to be tasted and have to say was on a different level,even Baby and Kalia agreed with it!!Both of them loved it so much and baby was so amazed that something can be done like this and it made me happy she loved the dish as I wanted her to taste something very classy which she had eaten while she was growing up but in a very different way!!!

From top!!
Anyways for all you morons, just enjoy the dish with your eyes for now and deal with it that you are not gone taste it! ;)
Will update you guys with another post about the second part of Indian street food!

Caio and have a great day!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment